[I wrote this 2 years ago for a girl named Sofia whom I used to babysit; posted it for the students who know broken homes all too well.]
I don't know how to begin this letter.
It would help by explaining that all I can do is look into your life from the outside
I've experienced brokenness, but not as you have.
My hope came later; you need yours at such a tender age.
There's a separation between our worlds, and my own words are so incredibly insufficient to reach you.
The only thing I can offer is a truth so supernatural, no human could attempt to fulfill it.
Your mom shouldn't have left you
Your dad shouldn't still be out at 2 in the morning.
You seem too young to understand, too young to be familiar with bitterness.
But you do understand, don't you? At such a young age, there's already a reason to wonder why the world isn't fair, and you find it harder to trust those who are never supposed to hurt you.
Sofia,
I wish so much.
That you had a childhood full of beauty and innocence, the likes of which you deserved.
That you never knew the sting of a broken heart.
That you knew every minute of every day that you were massively loved, despite your parents' failure to show this.
That you didn't have reason to doubt the beauty of a family, a marriage, a home.
There were original, good intentions for you, Sofia
and
Your existence is proof that there are miracles left in this dark, wicked world.
There is a Strength that can defend you against the most monstrous insanities.
There is a Father whose love won't fail.
He won't walk out on you and leave you wondering what you did wrong.
He won't make you second guess His commitment to you.
He never breaks His promises.
His passion over you is a blanket of restoration; you'll never find it from any man or woman on earth.
Curl up with this truth tonight; let it keep you warm and serenade you
It won't ever go away because it's more powerful than
Death.
And Sofia,
It's yours.
I'm sorry this world's cruelty
Startled you awake
A nightmare in the middle of a dream
But know Love, Sofia,
know this Love created to hold you
far above life's tragedies.
They have been conquered so you can drift back to sleep.
Sweet dreams, Princess.
It would help by explaining that all I can do is look into your life from the outside
I've experienced brokenness, but not as you have.
My hope came later; you need yours at such a tender age.
There's a separation between our worlds, and my own words are so incredibly insufficient to reach you.
The only thing I can offer is a truth so supernatural, no human could attempt to fulfill it.
Your mom shouldn't have left you
Your dad shouldn't still be out at 2 in the morning.
You seem too young to understand, too young to be familiar with bitterness.
But you do understand, don't you? At such a young age, there's already a reason to wonder why the world isn't fair, and you find it harder to trust those who are never supposed to hurt you.
Sofia,
I wish so much.
That you had a childhood full of beauty and innocence, the likes of which you deserved.
That you never knew the sting of a broken heart.
That you knew every minute of every day that you were massively loved, despite your parents' failure to show this.
That you didn't have reason to doubt the beauty of a family, a marriage, a home.
There were original, good intentions for you, Sofia
and
Your existence is proof that there are miracles left in this dark, wicked world.
There is a Strength that can defend you against the most monstrous insanities.
There is a Father whose love won't fail.
He won't walk out on you and leave you wondering what you did wrong.
He won't make you second guess His commitment to you.
He never breaks His promises.
His passion over you is a blanket of restoration; you'll never find it from any man or woman on earth.
Curl up with this truth tonight; let it keep you warm and serenade you
It won't ever go away because it's more powerful than
Death.
And Sofia,
It's yours.
I'm sorry this world's cruelty
Startled you awake
A nightmare in the middle of a dream
But know Love, Sofia,
know this Love created to hold you
far above life's tragedies.
They have been conquered so you can drift back to sleep.
Sweet dreams, Princess.
No comments:
Post a Comment